Served with scrambled eggs on the side, or on their own, these are savory.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3-4 slices thick-cut, cooked bacon, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, deseeded & chopped (use your discretion based on size of pepper & desired heat)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. of water (for egg wash)
Position oven rack to the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with either a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine ingredients. Add the butter cubes and pulse until you get a coarse mixture, approximately 8-10 times. Transfer flour/ butter mixture to a large bowl and add the buttermilk, mixing until it becomes a ball, but being careful not to over mix. Once fully formed, mix in the chopped bacon, jalapenos, and shredded cheese.
On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough, and roll out to a rectangular shape in 1 1/2inch thickness. Either cut diagonally or using a round biscuit cutter, cut until all dough is used, re-rolling if necessary. Place on a prepared baking sheet, brush lightly with the egg wash, and bake in oven for 12 – 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.