Truth be told: there comes a time in this wife’s/ mama’s cooking adventures, that I couldn’t care less what anyone else wants for dinner. It’s my way or the highway, or rather, make whatever you want ‘cuz this is what I want. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking for my family. I generally take into consideration what they want. Except last night. Last night, I put my flip flop foot down. And, let me tell you: no regrets. None. These are good and just what I wanted. The bonus is having plenty of leftovers because no one else even wanted to try it. For shame.
- 10oz. frozen-chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
- 1 cup whole milk Ricotta cheese
- 4oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 oz. Asiago cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. pizza dough (I use the 2 ingredient pizza dough)https://thecompanyshekeeps.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/2-ingredient-pizza-dough/
- 1 egg with 2 tbsp. water, beaten together for egg wash
- Pizza sauce, for dunking, of course
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Line a baking stone with a large piece of parchment paper; set aside. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients from the spinach through the red pepper flakes and mix well until thoroughly combined.
On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough in half. Roll each half out to a 9 inch circle. On each rolled out dough, spread half of the filling onto half of each dough round, leaving a 1 inch border at the edge. Brush the edge with the egg wash & then fold the other half of the dough over the filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border at the bottom edge uncovered. Press the edges of the dough together and crimp to seal.
Transfer each calzone to the parchment lined baking sheet. Using a sharp, serrated knife, slice 5 steam vents in each calzone. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Rotate the baking stone halfway through the baking time. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with warmed pizza sauce.